Saturday, January 18, 2014

Silent Pain

This whole situation is alarmingly familiar. Most of the similarities I expected, those that come with the territory of hospital life. One, however, I may have conveniently forgotten. That's the silent pain. 

Sure, we're seeing some real, not-so-silent pain and push-back from Willa. Behaviors that both break my heart and surprise me coming from my mellow little lady. And all to be expected considering what she is being forced to manage (at 3-years-old).

It's the silent pain I didn't expect. The same silent pain that came from those dark liquid eyes of semi-sedated-Willa in the NICU. The silent cries stifled by the intubation tube. The grimaces and clenched fists. The silent sound of pain that rang in my ears because it hurt my heart. Especially when you've never heard your baby cry yet.

I'm reminded of those unpleasant memories by current events. New silent pain. Silent pain I never imagined to see from my bubbly chatterbox. The silent pain where the spark leaves her eyes and her face becomes like stone. Lack of eye moment, spittle collecting at the corner of her mouth, no response to direct questions. Even summoning the image to describe it chokes me up. The expression is not quite blank as it is angry. 

We're seeing less and less of this silent pain, possibly as she's becoming more outright resistant. I guess if I have to (or can) choose, I pick the latter. Be angry! With me, with the doctors, with the situation. You have every right to be angry, my brave girl. This was chosen for you, without your consent. Let me have your silent pain with knowing this was chosen for you. Because in a few years, I can only hope and pray it is a forgotten memory. For all of us.

2 comments:

  1. I can only imagine...prayers for strength for you and for peace for you all. This is so much for Willa to have to burden, yet she has and will continue to amaze us with her strength and acceptance of her situation. Stay strong with one another, as this too shall pass. Soon, you will all be home and enjoying every moment together as you should.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily, you & Matt are doing the right thing.... no doubt about it. That's not to mean it will be easy... there is still more "hard" to come... but long term, and always focus on that, this is the absolute correct way to go for Willa & your lovely family. Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete