Today was Willa's "You Made it Through Halo Traction" (exact words on the trophy) party. And for lack of a better, more carefully scripted phrase, damn right. She owned halo traction. Actually I think she'll miss parts of being in halo traction! We are all going to miss Shriners. The people here are gifts. Beyond the nurses that blow bubbles, play hide-and-seek, plan parties, paint nails, make snow cones (and on and on and on), every single employee at Shriners has gone out of their way to support our family. I've talked to three administrative-level employees on the phone this week, and they all say how much they are going to miss Willa. And not only emotionally, but financially... Shriners is going to do something they have never done before to help our family. And it is still hard for us to believe.
Tomorrow my co-workers are all wearing their purple "Holcomb's Hero" shirts for Wonder Willa. There are people praying for her in Oregon, Illinois, Georgia, North Carolina, Virginia, Washington, California, Colorado, Minnesota, Ohio, and Michigan -- the Chief of the US Attorney's Office in Detroit has his prayer team on the ready (he has kept tabs on Willa ever since I met him last year). And almost 175 people are wearing scoliosis bracelets in honor of Willa.
We love the love. We are inspired and moved by all the love. People tell us they admire what we're doing, that we're the ones inspiring them with our courage and strength and love for our family. I don't know about that, but I do know that the love makes it easier for us. Easier to love each other and treasure the days and learn to lean on others. We have been so incredibly touched by how people have responded to our little family. It is indescribable to realize how our girl has affected such a spectrum of people. She is destined for great things. And those great things are already happening.
I know Willa and her surgeons will be surrounded by love tomorrow. That operating room will be bursting at the seams with love. Love makes all things possible. It makes the world go 'round. As Matt and Willa's favorite artist says: "Love the life you live. Live the life you love."
Pura Vida.

No comments:
Post a Comment