A week ago today, Team Purple Shiners for Shriners had some serious representation at Cause + Event Portland. We were truly overwhelmed by the people supporting us in presence at the run/walk and in spirit by virtually running and/or donating through C+E --
| Only about half our team at C+E |
![]() |
| Ready to roll! |
I have a hard time describing how much it meant to feel that support, knowing that they were there for us; for Willa. It was the first time Willa completed a kids run, and she ran her little heart out, despite being one of the slowest kiddos in the Tot Trot (previously her race-ending frustration). She held hands and ran with one of her little friends half the way, then sprinted her way in to the finish line, arms pumping. What a cool experience for her, to accomplish something she had been unsuccessful at a few times, but this time cheered on by a sea of people in purple all the way. It was the first time that Matt ran a 5K (which turned into an 8K), and it was the first time I've been at a running event where I've been cheered into the finish line by family and friends I love. To say that we left the event on a physical high is an understatement.
![]() |
| Friends stick together! |
![]() |
| Go my purple girl! |
When we got back to the car afterwards, Matt and I both had voicemails from Seattle Children's Hospital. We're scheduled to see Dr. Krengel, chief of the spinal team there, on December 5th. The purpose for the appointment is a "second opinion," but I think what we're really looking for is validation. At any rate, the hospital called to say that they had a cancellation for Friday (Nov.22) and could get us in two weeks ahead of time. Reality check (that we chose to ignore)...
On Monday, I started a weeklong game of phone-tag with the Child Life center at Shriners, wanting to start crafting a plan to prepare Willa, and us, for her stay. So many questions and no answers (yet).
On Tuesday, Shriners scheduling called me at work. Willa is in the books for January 6th. That is the day she will get her halo and start her stay. The cervical surgery is tentatively scheduled for the end of February, depending on progress with the halo. This is really happening.
In treatment planning terms, everything is going as it should. She's had the tests and seen the experts, logistics are being worked out, and four months from now, our family should be home together. And yet it continues to be difficult to accept what our reality will be between now and then.
When Willa was born, she didn't come home until she was 5 weeks old. We didn't even know her then, but we spent everyday with her. We didn't have another daughter who follows around her big sister, mirroring her every move. This time is completely different. I can't help but think about all the mundane, everyday things that we will miss, but only because they just won't happen. Hearing Willa open her door and run into our room in the morning, listening to her narrate the imaginative play with Josie, watching her run into preschool alone with her big purple backpack (because she doesn't want me to walk her in anymore), altering the rearview mirror because she wants to see me in the car, giving in every time she wants to listen to "that guy singing" (from her purple birthday) or "Bob" [Marley] AGAIN if only to hear her sing (especially "Every little thing is gonna be already... Right, Mama?"), reading together after Josie goes to bed... It just. Won't. Happen. So that's The Bad.
Mid-way through this week I started to feel like C+E was a waste. A waste to feel such emotion only to get kicked down by reality. But then I realized that it was the best timing. It built us up so we could handle this week. It reminded us how many people love Willa and want to support our family. It materialized as a way to do something even when it feels like you can do nothing.
The Good. You can always find SOME good. There's a song that I think of often. I can't hardly listen to it anymore because it has been too overwhelmingly poignant since I heard it live back in May.
And you are the mother
The mother of your baby child
The one to whom you gave life
The mother of your baby child
The one to whom you gave life
And you have your choices
And these are what make man great
His ladder to the stars
And these are what make man great
His ladder to the stars
But you are not alone in this
And you are not alone in this
As brothers we will stand
And we'll hold your hand
Hold your hand
And you are not alone in this
As brothers we will stand
And we'll hold your hand
Hold your hand
And I will tell the night
And whisper, "Lose your sight"
But I can't move the mountains for you
And whisper, "Lose your sight"
But I can't move the mountains for you
But we're not alone in this. Even if no one can move the mountains ahead of us, "every little thing gonna be alright." Thank you, Cause + Event (and everyone), for making that all too true.

.jpg)

Oh sweet Emily.. tears sprung to my eyes as I read the second part of this post. I can only imagine the dread I would feel looking into a long hospitalization again. You are so right to grieve, and so wise to then not allow that grief to take up residence in your heart. You are not alone. So many love your family - that is so apparent. I even already love you guys and haven't even met you yet, but yet I am brainstorming how to support you during your stay. You will get through this. God got your through before. He will get you through this. I always have to remind myself of his promises (aren't we always so quick to doubt?) and the verse, 'Be still, and know that I am God." Such a simple sentence. Yet so powerful. Be still. Can't wait to REALLY meet you soon.
ReplyDelete