Sunday, October 20, 2013

Cause + Event with us!

We have had many many people ask us how they can help. Being only so familiar with the desire to do something when there is nothing to be done, we take these offers to heart. We hope that our gratefulness of prayers for Willa and our family are never minimized, because that is truly what we appreciate the most, but something more concrete is wanted by all of us. As we know more about what Willa's stay at Shriners will look like, we'll know more of what we'll need, but until then we hope you're available to help us with an event on Saturday, November 16th...
 

Cause + Event Portland is a fairly new running event that allows participants to CHOOSE the non-profit receiving at least half of the already-affordable $20 race fee (the remaining $10 is dependent on sponsorship). A few months ago I learned about this awesome event through another awesome event that was raising money for the CDH (congenital diaphramatic hernia) Foundation. I've become a big fan of only participating in running events that actually raise money for something. Bonus if I have a connection and/or know the organizing family. I'm sorry, but $40 for a bib chip and lame shirt? No thanks.

Back when I ran the LadyBug Run for CDH Awareness this summer, we thought Willa would be in the midst of her stay at Shriners when Cause + Event was scheduled to happen. I knew that myself in particular would need something constructive during that time. Something that would make me feel like I was doing something to help. Something I could do to honor my brave girl.

Enter the idea of hosting a team to benefit Shriners. And why not? I know plenty of people that like to run, plenty of people that like to walk, and plenty of people I could guilt into doing this for Willa. :) Now even better, Willa will get to participate too! She can ride in the jogger with Jo and run in the Kids Fun Run or Tot Trot.

So calling everyone that runs, walks, or cheers! PLEASE join our team of "Purple Shiners for Shriners" and be a sea of purple that envelopes our family with support. If you can't be there in person, Cause + Event offers a virtual option... they even send you a race bib and request that you take your picture running a "race" of any distance sometime between November 16 and December 1. Not a runner and still want to show your support? You can also donate directly to the cause via the race OR volunteer on race day.

As I see it, you now have three options:
1. Register to run or walk (5K or 10K) with us by clicking HERE.
2. Register to virtually participate by clicking HERE.
3. Donate to Shriners via Cause + Event by clicking HERE, or donate directly to the Shriners Hospital for Children by clicking HERE.

Thank you, thank you, thank you in advance.


4 comments:

  1. Just registered! I'll pretend you're kicking my butt in the same city, you stud you :) You are SUCH an inspiration, Sallee family! Pictures to follow, love ya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lainie! You are awesome. But we already knew that. ;) Love you too.

      Delete
  2. Thank you SO much for running our Ladybug Run! Your daughter is beautiful. I hope to say HI to you at C+E and I will be praying for your girl. I'd love to visit you guys while she in in the hospital.. feel free to shoot me an email at ladybugcdh at gmail dot com.

    Liz Dooley, Race Director Ladybug Run for CDH Awareness
    www.finleyanabelle.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finally entered, thanks for the reminder this morning Emily!

    ReplyDelete